Tuesday, February 23, 2010

"Anyway, so the pilgrim learns how to pray the way these very mystical persons say you should -

- I mean, he keeps at it till he's perfected it and everything.  Then he goes on walking all over Russia, meeting all kinds of absolutely marvellous people and telling them how to pray by this incredible method.  I mean, that's really the whole book."

"I hate to mention it, but I'm going to reek of garlic," Lane said.

"He meets this one married couple, on one of his journeys, that I love more than anybody I ever read about in my entire life," Franny said. "He's walking down a road somewhere in the country, with his knapsack on his back, when these two tiny little children run after him shouting 'Dear little beggar!  Dear little beggar!  You must come home to Mummy.  She likes beggars.'  So he goes home with the children, and this really lovely person, the children's mother, comes out of the house all in a bustle and insists on helping him take off his dirty old boots and giving him a cup of tea.  Then the father comes home, and apparently he loves beggars and pilgrims, too, and they all sit down to dinner.  And while they're at dinner, the pilgrim wants to know who all the ladies are that are sitting around the table, and the husband tells him that they're all servants but that they always sit down to eat with him and his wife because they're sisters in Christ."  Franny suddenly sat up a trifle straighter in her seat, self-consciously. "I mean I loved the pilgrim wanting to know who all the lades were." She watched Lane butter a piece of bread.  "Anyway, after that, the pilgrim stays overnight, and he and the husband sit up till late talking about this method of praying without ceasing.  The pilgrim tells him how to do it.  Then he leaves in the morning and starts out on some more adventures."

From Franny and Zooey by J.D. Salinger, which I read for the first time today.  I liked it very much, and not at all just for the passage above.


No comments:

Post a Comment